Hong Kong Hiking Challenge: From September to December 2022, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department organizes the Hong Kong Hiking Challenge to encourage nature lovers and hikers to set off for the countryside and take on the challenge! There are 25 checkpoints scattered in various scenic spots in the country parks, featuring a variety of picturesque views unique to Hong Kong’s countryside. The top of Hong Kong – Tai Mo Shan, the breath-taking sunset view at Mount High West, the enchanting historic Hakka village of Lai Chi Wo, the thousand islands reflection of the Tai Lam Chung Reservoir, and many more!
Participants can plan their own routes to visit these checkpoints based on their interest, physical fitness and hiking experience. Use a smartphone to check-in at the checkpoints to collect the unique local flora and fauna badges made for each checkpoint. You will also learn about the amazing biodiversity of Hong Kong! Collect a certain number of badges and you will get different rewards! Let the challenge begins!
Surrounded by serene valleys and lush green hillsides, Cloudy Hill is located at the junction of Section 8 and 9 of the Wilson Trail. Atop its undulating ridge, breath-taking views of of Tai Po City and Tolo Harbour unravels beneath you, immerse in this mountain paradise as a quick getaway from the repetitive city life.
Transportation, bus schedule and costs:
Start: Walk from Tai Wo MTR station to the starting point of Cloudy Hill. Around 1 kilometer.
Return: From Fung Yuen (鳳園) take minibus 20P to Tai Po Market station (Operates from Mon-Sun, runs every 6-15 minutes)
- Get off at Tai Wo MTR station, head to exit A. At the mall, turn left
- On the right side there should be a escalator, head down and turn left
- After crossing a public housing estate, you will see a wide cross walk, cross the road and head straight
- At the cross road, we will head diagonally opposite the road (Or walk straight across the street then turn right and cross the street again)
- At the road sign, turn left at Tai Po Tau, then turn right and cross the road again (Scroll up and look at the photos if you are not sure!)
- At the end of the road, follow the path and turn left and walk down the slope. You will see un underground tunnel, ignore it and walk on the left side of the road
- Follow the sign of Tai Po Tau, at the intersection, turn right and keep walking straight
- There is a restroom on the right side, keep walking (Just follow the sign) and walk till the end of the road and make a left turn
- Continue to head straight, on the right side it is the cloudy hill, the road is very small so please be careful and not miss it (Follow the sign again)
- Starting with stairs, there are gazebo along the way, at the first fork road, stay on the right
- Head uphill and you will see another sign that points towards cloudy hill, make a right turn and walk down the hill, then you will start walking up again.
- Then you will eventually reach the Yuk Sau Fung (玉秀峰). After taking photos, continue to walk down the hill
- Starting to walk upstairs and enjoy the view.
- Take more photos with drone
- You will make it to the last step (956 step)
- At another fork road turn right, at the Pat Sin Leng Country Park, turn right and head up to the cloudy hill
- You will see the distance pole of the cloudy hill
- Head to the right side of the launch pad, follow the stone steps, at the fork road, turn right (Be careful when you walk down the slope)
- You will see a sign that points towards Sha Lo Tung village (沙羅洞村) and Fung Yuen (鳳園), then you arrive the checkpoint!
- Time to take photos of the views
- Starting to walk down the hill, follow the stone path and head to the bottom until you see the “Tung Yuen” sign, make a right turn
- (Please refer back to our photos if you are lost!) On the right side there should be stairs, head down and you will see another fork road, stay on the right side.
- On the left side it’s actually the Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve Park (鳳園蝴蝶保育區), you will need to purchase a ticket to get into it
- At the fork road make a left turn, once you see the road, just follow it
- You will see a minibus station, take the 20P and head to Tai Po Market MTR station
Little feedback: The cloudy hill has an altitude of 440 meters, sitting on the Wilson Trail, it has a total of over 1000 stairs, and it doesn’t really have many shades. Highly recommend to bring an umbrella with you. We picked Fung Yuen to return as the trip will be shorter, if you have more energy, you can choose and return at Lau Shui Heung Reservoir to enjoy the view of bald cypress (Very crowded when the maple season starts), but since it’s still autumn during this trip, the view of bald cypress isn’t ready, so we decided to pick a shorter route instead.
Read more about hiking in Hong Kong:
- 香港遠足挑戰站點號碼 9-城門水塘（享逸台）Shing Mun Leisure Deck
- 香港遠足挑戰站點號碼10: 大帽山郊野公園觀景台（北面）Tai Mo Shan Country Park Viewing Point (North)
- 香港遠足挑戰站點號碼: 12: 千島湖清景台 Reservoir Islands Viewpoint
- 香港遠足挑戰站點號碼13-荔枝窩小瀛故事館 Hong Kong Hiking Challenge: Siu Ying Story Room
- 一日渡輪遊印洲塘海岸公園參觀鬼手岩及漫步荔枝窩客家文化村 1 Day Ferry Tour: Yan Chau Tong Marine Park and Hakka village of Lai Chi Wo