Hong Kong Hiking Challenge: From September to December 2022, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department organizes the Hong Kong Hiking Challenge to encourage nature lovers and hikers to set off for the countryside and take on the challenge! There are 25 checkpoints scattered in various scenic spots in the country parks, featuring a variety of picturesque views unique to Hong Kong’s countryside. The top of Hong Kong – Tai Mo Shan, the breath-taking sunset view at Mount High West, the enchanting historic Hakka village of Lai Chi Wo, the thousand islands reflection of the Tai Lam Chung Reservoir, and many more!
Participants can plan their own routes to visit these checkpoints based on their interest, physical fitness and hiking experience. Use a smartphone to check-in at the checkpoints to collect the unique local flora and fauna badges made for each checkpoint. You will also learn about the amazing biodiversity of Hong Kong! Collect a certain number of badges and you will get different rewards! Let the challenge begins!
Little introduction: Shing Mun Leisure Deck located above the eastern slope of Shing Mun Reservoir surrounded by the Reservoir and lush green mountains. It offers a landscape view of Tai Mo Shan and across Kwai Chung.
The paperbark plantation across the reservoir reflect on the water, creating a poetic scene of the mountain.
Transportation, bus schedule and costs
- Take minibus 82 from Tsuen Wan station to Shing Mun Reservoir
- The minibus operates from Monday to Sunday, from 06:15am to 09:00pm, every 8-15 minutes. It costs $5.8 each trip.
- At the Tsuen Wan MTR station, take exit B and head towards the left side
- After turning left at exit B, turn right towards the bridge, then walk straight
- Keep walking straight passing the bridge
- Once you reach the end of the bridge, turn left and walk downstairs
- Walk straight and turn right at the first block
- Continue to walk straight, again turn right at the next block
- The minibus station 82 is right in front of you 🙂
- Get off at the Shing Mun Country Park station, this is also the minibus stop that takes you home
- You will then see an obvious red gate, follow that gate and walk straight
- The Shing Mun Barbecue park will be on your left side, keep walking straight
- Stay left on the fork road
- You will see another barbecue area, there is also restroom, a gazebo, and vending machine. Rest for a bit, or continue to walk along the road
- Walk past the handrail. Yep just follow the others
- Here we arrive the main dam! Keep walking on the left side and enjoy the amazing view
- After enjoying the view of the main dam, turn right and start walking up hill (Also part of the MacLehose trail)
- At the top of the hill, there is a viewing deck on the top left hand side, feel free to hike up there for photos
- Continue to walk straight, you will walk past two barbecue areas (Yep, lots of them)
- We will then see a fork road, let’s take the left side towards Shing Mun Leisure Deck
- You will then see a gazebo, but that’s not the end of our trip, walk downstairs from the left side
- WOOHOO congratulations, let’s take some instagrammable photos and head to some other better places for photos
- Here we will see a fork road again, head towards the left side
- You will see a gazebo after a short walk, then a fork road, keep left
- You will reach another popular spot (Tai Shing Stream) after walking through a small bridge (Another popular photo spot of Shing Mun Reservoir)
- Keep walking straight, another barbecue area appears (LOL) there is a restroom on the left side. We finished 2/3 of our trip already!
- On the left side you will see the paperbark by Shing Mun Reservoir. Photo time!
- We went there not during the rainy season, so you would see the tree root, but if you travel here during the rainy season, it gives you a completely different view
- Walk back up to the road, and keep walking straight
- Here we arrive our next photo spot, the paperbark road!
- Continue to follow the road where you will meet another fork road, pick the left side
- We will see the Lung Run Country Trail, on the left side it will be the Butterfly garden (賞蝶園), lets head down
- We will walk past a huge grass field, follow the stone stairway, and turn right afterwards
- Follow the path, here we will see another fork road, turn left
- Starting to walk down the stairways again, then you will eventually see the bus station (End of the trip, you can head back to Tsuen Wan for food)
- On the right side of the bus station is the Shing Mun food stall and a restroom which you can take a rest
Little feedback: Shing Mun Reservoir perfect for a hiking newbie. There are several spots that are great for photos including:
1. The “circle drainage dam” (圓形排洪漏斗) that is extremely popular among photographers (usually during rainy season).
2. Paperbarks road by Shing Mun Reservoir
3. Lakeview paperbarks (Not sure if it has a proper name, 水畔千層) but during the rainy season the tree roots will quietly hide their tails in the river, don’t forget the Tai Shing Stream, with the dam and view of the reservoir, combining to show the gift of nature. Not to mention that there will be monkeys and cows on the way, try not to feed them and keep distance for your own safety!
Since the Tsuen Wan station has a bridge that is well-known as the bridge that can leads to everywhere, including different shopping mall. This location is perfect for a one-day trip, starting with a small hike, then coming back to Tsuen Wan and have a small shopping/dinner break, including a huge Ikea, street foods in Lo Tak Court, or even the artistic The Mills for a local beer.
Read more about hiking in Hong Kong: